Frequently Asked Questions

Property Tax

FAQ Category

I received a bill for my property taxes. Do I need to send It to Caliber?

If your loan has an escrow account, you won’t need to send your tax bill to us. We will pay your property taxes for you with the funds you’ve already deposited in your escrow account.

If your loan does not have an escrow account, you will need to arrange payment directly with your county or parish tax office/assessor.

I received an insurance check for damages to my home. What do I need to do?

Contact our Loss Draft Department at 1-866-940-2335 to discuss details of your claim with one of our insurance specialists. They will be able to tell you how to handle the claim funds. You can also upload all of the required claim documents or track the progress of your claim by accessing

I Recently Paid My Taxes to the Local Assessor, but You’ve Just Sent Me a Letter Telling Me That That My Taxes May Be Delinquent. What Should I Do?

Sometimes it will take several weeks for your tax assessor to inform Caliber that you’ve paid your taxes. If this happens, send us proof of your recent tax payment. This can be a copy of the receipt you received from your tax office, or a copy of both sides of your cancelled check.

Write your Caliber Home Loans account number on each copy before mailing it to: Caliber Tax Department, P.O. Box 9203, Coppell, TX 75019-9210. You may also fax your proof of payment to 817-826-1258.

I Haven’t Been Able to Pay My Property Taxes, and I’ve Just Received a Tax Sale Notice. What Should I Do?

Contact the Caliber Tax Department at 844-815-6406. The Department is open Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM CST.

I’ve Received a Supplemental Tax Bill from My County. What Should I Do with It?

Supplemental tax bills may be issued during your first year in your new home. These are issued when your property’s new assessed value is higher than its previous value. These are not included in escrow accounts as they are not issued every year, so you will need to make arrangements to pay it.

If you can’t pay your supplemental tax bill by its due date, contact Caliber’s Tax Department at 844-815-6406 or send it to Caliber Tax Department, P.O. Box 9209, Coppell, TX 75019-9218. You may also fax it to us at 509-797-8974. Be sure to write your Caliber loan account number on the bill before faxing.

How Will I Know When Caliber Servicing Has Paid My Property Taxes?

Check your loan’s payment history on your next monthly statement, or online. Tax payments generally take two to four weeks to post to your account after Caliber sends the payment to your tax authority.

I Received a Homestead/Tax Exemption for My Home. Where Do I Send It?

Make a copy of your exemption paperwork and send it to Caliber’s Tax Department at P.O. Box 9209, Coppell, TX 75019-9218. You may also fax it to us at 509-797-8974. Please be sure to write your Caliber loan number on the exemption before sending it to us. We may review your escrow account and send you a revised Escrow Analysis if your exemption has lowered your tax bill by more than $500. Otherwise, your account will be analyzed annually according to our state schedule.

Who Should I Contact If I Have Additional Questions?

Call 844-815-6406 or fax correspondence to 509-797-8974.

FAQ Category

Still Have Questions?

Call Caliber Servicing at 800-401-6587.
Our friendly Customer Service representatives are ready to assist you
from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM CST, Monday through Friday.